Whether the user would like it or not, sooner or later, any Windows computer accumulates a large number of temporary files (cache, browser history, log files, tmp files, etc.). This, most often, users are called “garbage”.
The PC starts to work more slowly with time than before: the speed of opening folders decreases, sometimes it reflects for 1-2 seconds, and the hard disk becomes less free space. Sometimes, even the error pops up that there is not enough space on the system disk C. So, to prevent this from happening, you need to clean the computer from unnecessary files and other rubbish (1-2 times a month). About this and talk.
Cleaning the computer from garbage – step by step instructions
Built-in Windows tool
You need to start with the fact that in Windows there is already a built-in tool. True, it does not always work perfectly, but if you use the computer not so often (or you cannot install a third-party utility on the PC (about it later in the article)), you can use it.
- Disk Cleaner is in all versions of Windows: 7, 8, 8.1.
- I will give a universal way how to run it in any of the above OS.
- Press the combination of buttons Win + R and enter the cleanmgr.exe command. Next, press Enter.
- Then Windows will launch a disk cleaning program and ask us to specify the disk to scan.
After 5-10 min. analysis time (time depends on the size of your disk and the amount of garbage on it) you will be presented with a report with a choice of what to delete. In principle, tick all the points. See screenshot below.
After selecting, the program will ask you if you really want to delete – just confirm.
Result: the hard drive was very quickly cleared of most unnecessary (but not all) and temporary files. It took all this min. 5-10. The downsides, perhaps, are that the standard cleaner doesn’t scan the system very well and skips many files. To remove all garbage from a PC – you need to use specials. utilities, read one of them further in the article …
Using a special utility
In this article, I decided to stop at one utility for optimizing Windows – Wise Disk Cleaner.
Link to of. website: http://www.wisecleaner.com/wisediskcleanerfree.html
Why on it?
Here are the main advantages (in my opinion, of course):
- There is nothing superfluous in it, just what you need: disk cleaning + defragmentation;
- Free + supports 100% Russian language;
- The speed of work is higher than that of all other similar utilities;
- Scans the computer very carefully, allows you to free up disk space much more than other counterparts;
- Flexible system settings for scanning and deleting unnecessary, you can turn off and turn on almost everything.
After running the utility, you can immediately click on the green search button (top right, see the picture below). Scanning is quite fast (faster than with the standard Windows cleaner).
After analysis, you will be given a report. By the way, after the standard tool in my Windows 8.1 OS, about 950 MB of garbage was also found! You are required to tick the box that you want to remove and click the clean button.
By the way, the program cleans the disk from the unnecessary as quickly as it scans. On my PC, this utility works 2-3 times faster than the standard Windows utility.
Defragment your hard disk in Windows 7, 8
In this subsection of the article, you need to make a little help so that it is more clear what is at stake…
All files that you write to the hard disk are written to it in small pieces (more experienced users call these “pieces” clusters). Over time, the spread on the disk of these pieces begins to grow rapidly, and the computer has to spend more time to read this or that file. This moment is called fragmentation.
So that all the pieces were in the same place, they were located compactly and quickly read – you need to do the reverse operation – defragmentation (for more information about defragmenting the hard disk). About her and will be discussed further…
By the way, you can also add the fact that the NTFS file system is less prone to fragmentation than the FAT and FAT32, so defragmentation can be done less often.
Standard Optimization Tools
- Press the key combination WIN + R, then enter the command dfrgui and press Enter.
- Next, Windows will launch the utility. You will be presented with all the hard drives that are seen by Windows. In the column “current state” you will see what percentage of disk fragmentation. In general, the next step is to select the drive and click the optimization button.
- In general, it works well, but not as well as a special utility, for example, Wise Disc Cleaner.
Using Wise Disc Cleaner
Run the utility, select the defrag function, specify the disk and click the green “defragment” button.
Surprisingly, in defragmentation, this utility overtakes the built-in disk optimizer in Windows 1.5-2 times!
Conducting regular cleaning of the computer from garbage, you not only free up disk space, but also accelerate your work and PC.